Friday, November 5, 2010

Filming the teacher

Today I had a few minutes of teacher talk to explain how to work out something for the pamphlet. This is the sort of thing that is always problematic. It usually invoves a lot of work to keep them quiet and attentive. The students haven't hit the problem yet so they don't have the motivation to listen or take notes. By the time they need it (in five minutes) half of them will have forgotten. I decided to try a trick from ulearn. I told them that thety all had netbooks with webcams and that if they thought they would want to hear what I said again they should video me. It went down well. All the netbooks (and one phone) were aimed at me. An interesting side effect was: because they were all filming they didn't want to make any noise to ruin the recording. I didn't Everone was listening attentively. It was great! I'll definately use this again.

I did talk about how I was happy for them to video me explaining things any time but that I did not want them to publish the videos without my consent. I also suggested that they could ask their other teachers to do this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment